Re: installing etch on atari

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:25:17PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install etch on my falcon/ct60, after I lost my woody
> installation. There are no atari kernels on the etch CD from january, so I
> tried with the latest 2.6 kernel. This kernel has many drivers built in, the
> installation starts fine, but it does not have SCSI drivers, so I can not
> access the CD-Rom. I am kind of stuck here, I am not sure if a hdinstall
> would help here.

Why not build a custom 2.6 kernel with scsi drivers built-in? The
installation manual has directions. (Well it used to, I don't see any
right now.) If you point me to your custom kernel I'll do a daily d-i
build with it, if that would help.

> So I tried with the 2.4.30 kernel I built some time ago, this kernel has
> scsi drivers and some network drivers built in. udev does not start with
> anything < 2.6.15, so there are no special nodes for the cdrom.
> cd /dev ; mknod scd0 b 11 0 ; ln -s scd0 sr0 ; ln -s scd0 cdrom
> fixes this, the CD-Rom can then be mounted (without loading any drivers),
> the cd is scanned. Then d-i is trying to load the base-installer and the
> whole machine freezes. I hope this is not expected, anything else I could
> try?

The d-i folks have started to drop 2.2/2.4 support. I don't know how
much, because I haven't been testing old kernels. (Okay, I haven't been
testing much at all lately -- I'm looking forward to the mac adb patches
in the debian kernels. ;-)

<stephen@marenka.net>