Re: installing etch on atari

> > I am trying to install etch on my falcon/ct60, after I lost my woody
> > installation. There are no atari kernels on the etch CD from january, so I
> > tried with the latest 2.6 kernel. This kernel has many drivers built in, the
> > installation starts fine, but it does not have SCSI drivers, so I can not
> > access the CD-Rom. I am kind of stuck here, I am not sure if a hdinstall
> > would help here.
>
> Why not build a custom 2.6 kernel with scsi drivers built-in? The

Because this would be the first real test of Atari SCSI in 2.6, I guess.
Should be fine for reading the CD though (depending on how prone the
Falcon is to DMA clock problems; make sure to boot in ST-High
resolution!).

> installation manual has directions. (Well it used to, I don't see any
> right now.) If you point me to your custom kernel I'll do a daily d-i
> build with it, if that would help.

I guess it would - we'd at least know how well the custom kernel works :-)

> > cd /dev ; mknod scd0 b 11 0 ; ln -s scd0 sr0 ; ln -s scd0 cdrom
> > fixes this, the CD-Rom can then be mounted (without loading any drivers),
> > the cd is scanned. Then d-i is trying to load the base-installer and the
> > whole machine freezes. I hope this is not expected, anything else I could
> > try?
>
> The d-i folks have started to drop 2.2/2.4 support. I don't know how
> much, because I haven't been testing old kernels. (Okay, I haven't been
> testing much at all lately -- I'm looking forward to the mac adb patches
> in the debian kernels. ;-)

Even dropping 2.2 and 2.4 support, you'd expect an error message not a
freeze.

I had hoped to run SCSI tests with a disk I'd found recently, but that one
appears to be dead ...