Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 09:30 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > How did you get the EtherNAT? I've been waiting for a year now for the two
> > > boards that I ordered and paid for. Writing a Linux driver for the board
> > > would be a great help for the two CT60 machines that the m68k porters
> > > already have. Those machines are connected via a serial link, which makes
> > > down- and uploading slow and not todally reliable. Having those connected
> > > via 100MBit ethernet would be great!
> > >
> > > Christian
> >
> > My etherNAT is defective in some way shape or form.  It can only work
> > using the 200hz timer rather than interrupt operation, and therefore it
>
> That would still be nice enough.
>
> > is a bit slower.  I still get like 800KB/sec though which is a heck of a
> > lot better even than the 400KB/sec the ethernec gets.  Is there a linux
> > driver for the ethernec?  Any advice on how to get debian installed onto
>
> I think not. It would not be too difficult to write one; the only thing
> that is special is doing the writes by reading from a particular address.
>
> There's no Linux driver for the EtherNAT either. That should be even
> simpler to write (other than the timer polling that would be necessary for
> you). Maybe you just need a firmware update on the CT60?

CT60 is updated to the latest firmware.  The developers believe it's a
resistor value on the EtherNAT board.  They recommend I solder in some
replacements of different values to see if the issue goes away.  I
haven't had the patience lately to attempt that SMT soldering.  it's
been a while since I was doing falcon mobo upgrades for people.

> Petr was going to send me an EtherNEC once he got one, so I could get at
> least that in the kernel.

I have 2 EtherNEC's and 1 EtherNAT.  1 EtherNEC is now spare, I can send
it to you to get it running.

> > my falcon?  Netboot, cd, etc?  Should I use the kernel and bootloader
> > that Didier Mequignon provided?
>
> The Kernel isn't that critical; a stock 2.4.30 from the Debian sources
> works for me. 2.6 support is still not quite there yet.

Still curious as to what the install procedure is.  Do I have to burn
those umpteen million CD's?  Will D-I work, will the ATAboot boot a CD?

Thanks,
Mark