Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

Anthony Towns schrieb am Donnerstag, den 19. Oktober 2006:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:59:20PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Regarding a solution for m68k beyond etch - I'd prefer to keep m68k
> > snapshots on a basis like you mentioned:
> >         * have m68k be in unstable, and have it have its own "testing-like"
> >           suite of some description
> >             + keeps the arch alive
> >             - some work to keep m68k-testing in sync with real testing needed
> >             - doesn't have real releases
> >             - may not have security support
>
> > So, if someone could give me a brief intro as to how testing migration of
> > packages works, and what would be needed to modify britney, I'd welcome
> > it.
>
> The idea, presumably, would be to have a separate britney instance just
> for m68k. That would mean that testing itself wouldn't be held back by
> any m68k problems, but would also mean that m68k wouldn't necessarily
> be held back by non-m68k problems -- eg, if something doesn't build on
> sparc, it could be updated for testing-m68k but not testing proper.
>
> The problem comes for things like transitions and so forth, where britney
> can't work out that it's okay to upgrade foo as long as libfoo and libbar
> are upgraded at the same time -- that often needs someone to follow the
> britney output and manually note down the things that work. Sometimes
> for large transitions you can't do it completely smoothly and something
> will need to break -- and a human needs to choose which is the least
> bad thing to have break, so britney will need some help there too.
I have some small experience with britney and hints from an old dead project
:). But if its just manpower for the m68k britney I volounteer for help.

*snip*
> Note that without a stable release, you'll need to maintain some way to
> deal with people who want to install on m68k -- you can't just rely on
> them installing stable and upgrading to testing.
Indeed, we would need some kind of semi-official relase for m68k, maybe a
little bit later. But I don't see a big problem there. Thats just a matter of
work and there are some people willing to do that.

Alex