Re: More RAM - a bad trend for m68k debian

Wouter Verhelst schrieb:

Hmm. How about something that uses libparted which just checks whether
any "useful" partitions have already been created, prompts the user
whether it's okay to use those partitions, and pulls in the partitioner
if it's not? I'd think such an application would not require as much RAM
as the full-blown partitioner, though I'm not sure.

Why not just call good'n'old /sbin/fdisk in case of memory problems or offer it as an alternative? It is perfectly happy with 500-1500kB and superior to most alternatives which would require partitioning and installing in another system or use multiple rescue-systems in odd enviroments to tame the pain of low mem.

Another option would be a totally reduced rescue system with not more than a shell, some basic network- and setup-tools and then require the use of the "install debian to a sub-directory-mountpoint" from the installation manual. Sure, thats a rather rough approach but ONE single and flexible rescue disk as a last fallback isn't too bad in my books.

That still wouldn't increase performance of the final OS on old systems but at least one could install Debian and then decide if it is usefull.

 Christian Brandt