Re: More RAM - a bad trend for m68k debian

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 06:22:28PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:51:19AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > The partitioner also sets up fstab and such and it's already a hog by
> > the time it's loaded up (bear in mind, we're talking about a hog by
> > lowmem standards). Yes, it'd be nice to have a workaround, but I don't
> > know that anyone is working on one. It does do a lot of cool stuff for
> > you like raid and lvm.
>
> Hmm. How about something that uses libparted which just checks whether
> any "useful" partitions have already been created, prompts the user
> whether it's okay to use those partitions, and pulls in the partitioner
> if it's not? I'd think such an application would not require as much RAM
> as the full-blown partitioner, though I'm not sure.

I think the trick would be integrating that with the partitioner so that
you didn't have to do the same thing twice. partman could use some work
anyway -- it's dog slow on m68k. Having used it on modern x86 hardware, I
see why they aren't concerned.

It might me nice not to download all those partman modules unless you
needed them too. Partitioning seems to be what needs the most memory.

<stephen@marenka.net>