Re: kernel-image-2.6.7

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:36:21PM +0200, Kars de Jong wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 18:07, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm affraid that's not an improvement for me: black screen, and still no
> > > IDE disks. So it's actually worse than before.
> > >
> > > Looks like the black screen is caused by this:
> > >
> > > # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set
> > >
> > > Ah, and no IDE disks is probably caused by this:
> > >
> > > # CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC is not set
> >
> > Fixed that, new image, old place.
>
> OK, works a lot better. All non-module stuff works fine now.

Great!

> I can't test the modules yet because I have Woody installed which doesn't
> seem to have module-init-tools...

Just grab it from testing, should not hurt? I did this on my Amiga and it
loaded at least a part of the network driver.

> But my SCSI disks work, my IDE disk works and I could even mount my AFFS
> partition to discover I couldn't load any modules with modutils ;-)
>
> Still some framebuffer problems: when I switched from the boot-up mode
> (vga70?) to super72-lace, all was fine. When I switched back and forth
> between vga70 and super72-lace my screen got corrupt and the system
> actually seems to hang...
>
> But that's with a really old fbset, no idea if it matters.

If it hangs, I guess it matters. But since most of the other framebuffers
are "officially" broken, maybe it does not matter as much. Is anybody
working on this, what does it take to fix? Also the SCSI problem, as I said,
this probably makes vme useless.

I just edited all config files to not offer broken drivers at all (the
option is CONFIG_CLEAN_COMPILE I guess). I am trying to make the config
between all subarches as similar as possible. While going through this, I
noted a new(?) windows netfilesystem option, CONFIG_CIFS. Seems to be for
newer windozes only. Does anybody need this or should I leave it out? BTW I
did activate XFS now.

Christian