Re: V3 Amiga install problem

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:55:34PM +0000, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
Please leave the discussion on the list. Others might have the same problem
and I do not want to explain things multiple time when people can just look
it up in the archives instead.

> Hi there, Christian
>
> On 06-Oct-02, you said:
>
> CTS>> OK - my attempts at installing Debian have been thwarted for months now.
> CTS>> Anything prior to the latest release hangs before the kernal boots,
> CTS>> leaving me with a pretty black screen to stare at, until I hit the reset
> CTS>> button.
> CTS>
> CTS> Which kernel did not work? You know that we had test versions of the
> CTS> boot-floppies for months (wich use the same kernel that is used in the
> CTS> official release now).
>
> OK - this may be me. I have an official 2.2 distribution, and I tried installing
> from that. That's what didn't work.

I haven't heard that for a long time, can you give us some details (dmesg
output for example)? Not that we are going to fix the old kernel, but it
still might be useful to know.

> CTS>> /dist/woody/main/binary-m68k/Packages.gz was not pre-downloaded
> CTS>
> CTS> that should be "dists/woody", although I am not sure if you should see that
> CTS> at all. You install from an official CD?
>
> Sorry - that's a type on my part - it was "dists/woody.....".  For V3 I'm not
> installing from an official CD. I downloaded amigainstall.tar.gz and
> basedebs.tar. Since root.bin, kernal.bin and drivers.tgz are in the
> amigainstall archive I didn't need them. I decrompressed amigainstall.tar to a
> directory on my HD and copied basedebs.tar to the same directory. The docs
> don't indicate that I need anything else.
>
> After this, I modified the "InstallCV3D" script to include "ide=doubler" and
> then wrote the directory to a CDRW. (I can't access my hard drives from linux,
> presumably because I use the SFS filesystem). Therefore, I'm doing a minimal
> install from HD, but having to use a CD since my HDs FS isn't usable. This
> works fine until I get to installing basedebs.

You do not have to write the install script to a CD, you can leave that on
HDD, edit it to your needs and start it from CD. It should be able to load
the kernel and root.bin from HDD since its still in AmigaOS.

> basedebs is found, and installed, but it seems that the installation is looking
> for packages.gz as part of this process, rather than quitting installation
> after basedebs and allowing me to boot from my linux partition.
>
> If I subsequently try to boot linux from HD, the boot process gets so far, and
> then fails with an "Init not found" (or similar) error, and a message "Try
> INIT= " option - which again, I can find no documentation on.

You did change your config to root=/dev/hdaxx or whereever your linux
partition is?

> CTS>> I only have a dial up connection, and since I can't get as far as
> CTS>> configuring that, I can't install online.
> CTS>
> CTS> Isn't pppd included in the basedebs? I thought it is, only pppoe is not,
> CTS> but even without pppoe its possible to setup a DSL connection to install
> CTS> from the net.
>
> Since the installation process reports a fail whilst (or after) installing
> basedebs, I wouldn't know :o(

check on the other consoles (At-F2 or Alt-F3), there should be some error
mesages telling you whats going (wr)on(g).

>  Actually you should be able to skip the tasksel and dselect
> CTS> steps altogether to get a minimal system. And this system should be able to
> CTS> get on the net, thats how I did my last install on my Amiga, over the
> CTS> network, no CD (I could not get AOS to read from an IDE CD-Rom).
>
> If I could get as far as making an online connection from linux, I would be
> happy. Any ideas?

No idea for what went wrong, maybe I never used basedebs on my Amiga. But I
have some ideas how you can install:
1. get the official Debian3.0 CD (first CD should be enough) and install
   from that.
2. copy basedebs to your linux partition before you use it to install, and
   then install with the one on your harddisk. Maybe something funny is
   going on with your CDRW. If you have no spare linux partition (or AmigaOS
   partition with a "normal" filesystem), use the partition you want to use
   as swap partition later, you can add a swap partition after the install.
3. Use the Install script and kernel from 3.0, but root.bin and everything
   else on your 2.2 CD. With this you should be able to install Debian2.2.
   then upgrade to woody via the net.
4. If you have another box with access to the internet and portforwarding,
   set it up as gateway for your Amiga and get everything through the net.
   Oh, you do have a ethernet network at home, don't you?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody