Re: V3 Amiga install problem

Hi there, Christian

On 06-Oct-02, you said:

CTS> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:55:34PM +0000, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
CTS> Please leave the discussion on the list. Others might have the same problem
CTS> and I do not want to explain things multiple time when people can just look
CTS> it up in the archives instead.

Sorry - a filter problem in my mailer didn't pick up on the mailing list
address. Now fixed.

CTS>> OK - this may be me. I have an official 2.2 distribution, and I tried
CTS>> installing from that. That's what didn't work.
CTS>
CTS> I haven't heard that for a long time, can you give us some details (dmesg
CTS> output for example)? Not that we are going to fix the old kernel, but it
CTS> still might be useful to know.

I'll take care of it later - though I couldn't see anything in dmesg output that
suggested the problem :o/

CTS>>> that should be "dists/woody", although I am not sure if you should
CTS>>> at all. You install from an official CD?
CTS>>
CTS>> Sorry - that's a type on my part - it was "dists/woody.....". For V3 I'm
CTS>> not installing from an official CD. I downloaded amigainstall.tar.gz and
CTS>> basedebs.tar. Since root.bin, kernal.bin and drivers.tgz are in the
CTS>> amigainstall archive I didn't need them. I decrompressed amigainstall.tar
CTS>> to a directory on my HD and copied basedebs.tar to the same directory. The
CTS>> docs don't indicate that I need anything else.
CTS>>
CTS>> After this, I modified the "InstallCV3D" script to include "ide=doubler"
CTS>> and then wrote the directory to a CDRW. (I can't access my hard drives
CTS>> from linux, presumably because I use the SFS filesystem). Therefore, I'm
CTS>> doing a minimal install from HD, but having to use a CD since my HDs FS
CTS>> isn't usable. This works fine until I get to installing basedebs.
CTS>
CTS> You do not have to write the install script to a CD, you can leave that on
CTS> HDD, edit it to your needs and start it from CD. It should be able to load
CTS> the kernel and root.bin from HDD since its still in AmigaOS.

The problem I had was not with booting the kernel, but in linux not being able
to find the installation files on my AmigaDOS partition after dbootstrap
started. Copying to a CD solved this problem.

CTS>> If I subsequently try to boot linux from HD, the boot process gets so far,
CTS>> and then fails with an "Init not found" (or similar) error, and a message
CTS>> "Try INIT= " option - which again, I can find no documentation on.
CTS>
CTS> You did change your config to root=/dev/hdaxx or whereever your linux
CTS> partition is?

Yep - root=/dev/hdb1 - the boot process starts (black screen - penguin in the
corner and a screen full of text before it fails)

CTS>>> Isn't pppd included in the basedebs? I thought it is, only pppoe is
CTS>> not, CTS> but even without pppoe its possible to setup a DSL connection to
CTS>>> from the net.
CTS>>
CTS>> Since the installation process reports a fail whilst (or after) installing
CTS>> basedebs, I wouldn't know :o(
CTS>
CTS> check on the other consoles (At-F2 or Alt-F3), there should be some error
CTS> mesages telling you whats going (wr)on(g).

Alt-F2 gives me a blank console. Alt-F3 does give output, but only what I have
already seen anyway.

CTS>> Actually you should be able to skip the tasksel and dselect CTS> steps
CTS>> altogether to get a minimal system. And this system should be able to CTS>
CTS>> get on the net, thats how I did my last install on my Amiga, over the CTS>
CTS>> network, no CD (I could not get AOS to read from an IDE CD-Rom).
CTS>>
CTS>> If I could get as far as making an online connection from linux, I would
CTS>> be happy. Any ideas?
CTS>
CTS> No idea for what went wrong, maybe I never used basedebs on my Amiga. But I
CTS> have some ideas how you can install:
CTS> 1. get the official Debian3.0 CD (first CD should be enough) and install
CTS>   from that.
CTS> 2. copy basedebs to your linux partition before you use it to install, and
CTS>   then install with the one on your harddisk. Maybe something funny is
CTS>   going on with your CDRW. If you have no spare linux partition (or
CTS> AmigaOS
CTS>   partition with a "normal" filesystem), use the partition you want to use
CTS>   as swap partition later, you can add a swap partition after the install.
CTS> 3. Use the Install script and kernel from 3.0, but root.bin and everything
CTS>   else on your 2.2 CD. With this you should be able to install Debian2.2.
CTS>   then upgrade to woody via the net.
CTS> 4. If you have another box with access to the internet and portforwarding,
CTS>   set it up as gateway for your Amiga and get everything through the net.
CTS>   Oh, you do have a ethernet network at home, don't you?

Well 4 is not an option :o( However, I'll try 3,2,1 in that order and let you
know. Thanks.

Regards

Steve
--
     // A1200 '060 50Mhz, 2+64Meg, EZ-Tower,  2 x 3 Gig IDE
    //  Power CD-ROM, IDE CDRW, HPDJ610C, OS 3.9, SquirrelSCSI

Author of:- GHelp, Blitzdock, Blitzpass, Placemouse, WBCycle, Amiga Draughts and
ScalosEject.

PGP Public Key:-

http://www.hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk/SteveHargreavesPGP.asc

The highest ecstasy is the attention at its fullest.
-- Simone Weil