Re: V3 Amiga install problem

Hi there, Christian

On 06-Oct-02, you said:

CTS> 3. Use the Install script and kernel from 3.0, but root.bin and everything
CTS>   else on your 2.2 CD. With this you should be able to install Debian2.2.
CTS>   then upgrade to woody via the net.

OK, you'll be pleased to know that this worked. I used the 3.0 amigainstall
pacgage copied to a normal AmigaDOS directory on an SFS partition, with disk 1
of the 2.2r2 CD distribution in my IDE drive. I cd'd to the CD and then started
with the following command line:-

Programs:linux/amiboot5.6 -d -k programs:linux/linux.bin -r
programs:linux/amiga/root.bin root=/dev/ram video=virge:800x600-8 ide=doubler

This got me to an apprently 2.2 version of dbootstrap (it had a different look
to dbootstrap from th 3.0 archive) which did allow me to install the system to
hdb2. Following a reboot, I was able to install a variety of packages from the
2.2 CD, and now have a (semi) working X Windows environment.

You might note that the version of Amiboot on the 2.2 CD also failed before
starting linux, but I don't suppose it matters.

There were some problems during installing the packages, but I think these were
down to my CD drive and the CDs themselves (a quick dust off helped) which
means I still have some problems, but these can be fixed, now.

The predominant problems are:-

Mouse freezing
Lack of any response when clicking on the buttons on the desktop
a complete system freeze when trying to quit the desktop

I suspect that most, if not all of these are related to the installation
problems, thou, and when I get a chance, I'll go through it all again.

I'll send the output from dmesg when trying to use the 2.2 CD's directly off
list later on (but for now, I'm going to the pub for a well earned pint :o)

Thanks for your help, and to Aled, who did what he could initially.

Regards

Steve
--
     // A1200 '060 50Mhz, 2+64Meg, EZ-Tower,  2 x 3 Gig IDE
    //  Power CD-ROM, IDE CDRW, HPDJ610C, OS 3.9, SquirrelSCSI

Author of:- GHelp, Blitzdock, Blitzpass, Placemouse, WBCycle, Amiga Draughts and
ScalosEject.

PGP Public Key:-

http://www.hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk/SteveHargreavesPGP.asc

Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not
as it should be!
-- Miguel de Cervantes