Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 08:25:18AM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:

> /dev/sda1  map Apple 63 @ 1 (31.5k) Partition map
> /dev/sda2  Dr43 Macintosh  32 @ 64 (16.0k) Driver 4.3
> /dev/sda3  HFS MacOS 17368 @ 96 (8.5M) HFS
> /dev/sda4  unix swap 57437 @ 17464 (28.0M) Linux swap

the install doc says swap <16MB is basically useless, especially on slower
machines. I guess 28MB are useless as well, if you have 128MB ram. I would
add that to your root partition, which is pretty small for serious use...

> /dev/sda5  unix root 640979 @ 74901 (313.0M) Linux
> native.
> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=715880

looks ok to me

> >Does it exist in /target/dev?
> >
> No, sr0 does not exist in /target.  Nor does /dev
> exist in /target.  Another installer mistake?

No, the installer is working fine for everybody else, you just seem to have
a weird setup. Maybe /target is still empty at this stage.

> >Are you trying to install from CD?
>
> Yes, installing from CD with boot-floppies on a HFS
> hard drive partition on
> the mac I am installing Debian on per instructions.
>
> >Did you tell the installer to use sr0 and not scd0?
>
> Installer never asks me this question.  As I said, I
> am asked only 2 questions
> at this point in the install: 1) set up keyboard 2)
> set up swap.
>

> >Do you have a scd0 device?
>
> No, I have scd2 and scd3.

You mean /dev/scd2 and /dev/scd3 exist but no /dev/scd0?  Why can't I
believe this?

> >On my (i386) box sr0 is a link
> >to scd0, try
> >creating that
>
> Remind me again how to create devices? My notes on
> this are somewhere.

A _LINK_. With ln -s. No device node. But I am pretty sure all the devices
exist. Guess I have to fire up my amiga later today...
If you have to create device files, see /dev/MAKEDEV
but I cannot believe that scd0 should be missing when the others are there.

> Anyway, the CD I will eventually try to use is the
> Debian Potato CD's.  In my past

Ugh..

> SE/30 installation, I took the macinstall.tar.gz from
> your ~cts ftp site.  This is supposed
> to be for woody.  The macinstall.tar.gz for the old

Yes, they are for woody. But why do you use the _experimental_ boot-floppies
when the official ones in woody are about one month newer??? Please download
the _official_ boot-floppies from your favourite debian mirror. They might
have worked in the past before some changes were introduced. Maybe I should
not publish the boot-floppies for testing anymore if it creates so much
confusion... amazing that nolangchooser works with them, I thought that was
added only later.

> Potato CD does not work.  Anyway, when the installer
> asks for the base files, I point it to the file
> base2_2.tgz on the Potato CD, instead of pointing to
> woody's base2_4. This has worked in the past
> perfectly.

Please don't do this, no matter if it has worked perfectly in the past. The
past is over, woody is the future. So you say you don't have a woody CD,
don't use it then but use macinstall the way it is supposed to be used. Did
you read the install docs? There is no base.tgz anymore since a long long
time. You might use a basedebs tarball. However I always installed directly
from the net, works like a charm.

> Again, the last message on console 3 (I don't have a
> console 4) is:

Have to check that again, I thought there was a console 4 listing what steps
are executed.

> user.info dboostrap[76]: mount: Mounting /dev/sr0 on
> /instmnt failed: No such file or directory

Does this happend when you have no CD in the drive also?

> There should be no problem with the CPU, considering
> that I have successfully installed Debian
> potato on my SE/30 some months ago.  In a certain
> sense, I AM the expert when it comes to installing
> Debian on a SE/30.  I did it last year and wrote a

Ok. Sudden returns to the beginning (and no collecting of 4000DM ;-) rings
the this-cpu-has-a-problem bell for me, but then I still don't have a mac...

> lengthy how-to about my experience.  Reinstalling,
> I have been embarassed to find out that my how-to is
> not worth anything due to faults with the current
> installer. I'm try to save face and fix this how-to,
> otherwise I pull it.

I don't think the installer is at fault, too many m68k people used it
successfully. I just think you are doing something wrong, try installing
after forgetting everything you know about the potato installer. Lots of
problems have been fixed, some things have changed, I think its becoming
easier with every version.

So whats the deal about the names for the partitions? Is there any info on
the web out there which has to be added to the install doc?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato