Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

Christian wrote:
>the install doc says swap <16MB is basically useless,
>especially on
>slower
>machines. I guess 28MB are useless as well, if you
have 128MB
>ram. I
>would
>add that to your root partition, which is pretty
small for
>serious
>use...

Sure will add it.  I was a bit confused, because if I
configured
my swap to be twice the size of my physical ram, my
whole hard drive
would be swap.  Pretty pointless there.

>> /dev/sda5  unix root 640979 @ 74901 (313.0M) Linux
>> native.
>> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=715880
>

>> No, I have scd2 and scd3.
>
>You mean /dev/scd2 and /dev/scd3 exist but no
/dev/scd0?  Why
>can't I
>believe this?

Hey, I know enough about working with linux to tell
you if a device
exists or not.  Its not there.  Want a ls /dev >
output sent to you
for verification?  No, That's easily forged.  Should I
just ship my Mac to you?

>If you have to create device files, see /dev/MAKEDEV
>but I cannot believe that scd0 should be missing when
the
>others are
>there.

>Please don't do this, no matter if it has worked
perfectly in
>the past.
>The
>past is over, woody is the future. So you say you
don't have a
>woody
>CD,
>don't use it then but use macinstall the way it is
supposed to
>be used.
>Did
>you read the install docs? There is no base.tgz
anymore since a
>long
>long
>time. You might use a basedebs tarball. However I
always
>installed
>directly
>from the net, works like a charm.

Yes, woody is the future for Debian, its just looks
like I am sh*t out of
luck with my potato stuff for my Mac even though it
worked perfectly well
towards the end of last year.  Don't have the luxury
of a fast connection to the net to install woody.
I'll pull
my how-to install potato on an SE/30. Too bad, the
SE/30 was a good
machine.  Looks like there is no way for me, with my
resources, my setup,
my hardware, to determine if woody would work. I'll
let some other sucker dance with the debian devil.
Anyone want a maxed out SE/30?  They make great
aquariums.

>So whats the deal about the names for the partitions?
Is there
>any info
>on
>the web out there which has to be added to the
install doc?

>Christian

I've never heard anything about properly name
partitions for installation to
complete.  I always named my swap partition "swap"
Kinda intuitive, don't ya think?

Thanks for your help,

William