Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

Christian,  Here are all my answers to the questions
that you asked me in your last post.

William

-----------

> Can you show us an:
> fdisk -l /dev/sda (if sda is your harddisk) and tell
us
>which
>partition is
>what.

O.K. here's is roughly my version of what fdisk -l
gives me

/dev/sda1  map Apple 63 @ 1 (31.5k) Partition map
/dev/sda2  Dr43 Macintosh  32 @ 64 (16.0k) Driver 4.3
/dev/sda3  HFS MacOS 17368 @ 96 (8.5M) HFS
/dev/sda4  unix swap 57437 @ 17464 (28.0M) Linux swap
/dev/sda5  unix root 640979 @ 74901 (313.0M) Linux
native.
Block size=512, Number of Blocks=715880

>Does it exist in /target/dev?

No, sr0 does not exist in /target.  Nor does /dev
exist in /target.  Another installer mistake?

>Are you trying to install from CD?

Yes, installing from CD with boot-floppies on a HFS
hard drive partition on
the mac I am installing Debian on per instructions.

>Did you tell the installer to use sr0 and not scd0?

Installer never asks me this question.  As I said, I
am asked only 2 questions
at this point in the install: 1) set up keyboard 2)
set up swap.

>Do you have a scd0 device?

No, I have scd2 and scd3.

>On my (i386) box sr0 is a link
>to scd0, try
>creating that

Remind me again how to create devices? My notes on
this are somewhere.

>(if you install from a CD, where did you
>get woody on
>CD?).

About the CD, at this point, the CD really hasn't even
come into play.  But as I can see from
console 3's error message, the installer immediately
tries to amount the CD even though
it has not asked me if I want to install from a CD.
As far as I am concerned, I think this is
wrong and ought to be fixed.

Anyway, the CD I will eventually try to use is the
Debian Potato CD's.  In my past
SE/30 installation, I took the macinstall.tar.gz from
your ~cts ftp site.  This is supposed
to be for woody.  The macinstall.tar.gz for the old
Potato CD does not work.  Anyway, when the installer
asks for the base files, I point it to the file
base2_2.tgz on the Potato CD, instead of pointing to
woody's base2_4. This has worked in the past
perfectly.

>What is the last message on console 3 (and 4!) when
you
>get kicked back
>the beginning of the installation, ie what is the
>installer trying to
>do?

Again, the last message on console 3 (I don't have a
console 4) is:

user.info dboostrap[76]: mount: Mounting /dev/sr0 on
/instmnt failed: No such file or directory

Really, this message is constantly occuring in console
3.  What it looks like in the log is that
dbootstrap starts, it fails to mount dev/src0 on
/instmnt, it exits and then schedules itself for
restart,
and the whole process is repeated.

>Are you sure you have a fully functioning CPU (where
are
>the maxperts
>when
>you need them...)?

There should be no problem with the CPU, considering
that I have successfully installed Debian
potato on my SE/30 some months ago.  In a certain
sense, I AM the expert when it comes to installing
Debian on a SE/30.  I did it last year and wrote a
lengthy how-to about my experience.  Reinstalling,
I have been embarassed to find out that my how-to is
not worth anything due to faults with the current
installer. I'm try to save face and fix this how-to,
otherwise I pull it.