Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 11:38:18AM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> ***
> >It's that way for the ease of new users who are using
> bootable
> >CDs.
>
> No comment, my opinion still stands.  Where's the
> debian policy on "ease
> of use"?

Well, it's just a design decision. Not one I made, but I agree with it.
There's one fine way to see if there's a Debian CD in the CD drive, and
that's to just try and mount it. If that succeeds, and the correct files
are found on it, then the installer can ask fewer questions. This test
mount is also used to install language packs which couldn't fit on the
floppy images, to make the installer accessible to even more people.

I dare say any other installer, being more 'user-friendly' is going to
ask your permission about things even less. You just don't know it. Do
you expect your CD audio application to ask you to mount the CD drive,
or do you expect it to start the audio as soon as you insert the CD?
Most people prefer the latter. A case could be made for removing the
inappropriate error message, if boot-floppies was not set to die with
woody.