Re: Newbie Amiga install help

Christian T. Steigies wrote:

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:33:08PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Just looked and didn't see my card.  Oh well. :-(

Try booting the kernel, its not that big of a download.

Okay, will do... at some point...

I am pretty sure I have bought ADE 5 years ago, and I downloaded gcc on many
floppies even before that. 2.6.3 or something? So even 5 years ago gzip and
co where available on the Amiga.

Okay, so, I was already out of it by then. :-(

On "which package," I'm waiting for petsc to build (beware, it takes 45 minutes on a PIII-450!), but looking at the logs, it Build-Depends on atlas-dev which doesn't exist for 68k. Right now I have Build-Depends: atlas-dev [!powerpc], lapack-dev [powerpc]; should that look like atlas-dev [!powerpc !m68k]? Or maybe just atlas-dev | lapack-dev?

This is a question for the m68k-build list: build m68k-build@nocrew.org
I suspect it build-depends on atlas for a reason? I think I once tried to
build atlas, it ran wild absorbing all the memory (72MB+100MB swap).

Uh oh, seems like m68k has the same gcc bug as PPC. See bug #, um, 88220 has been closed! Not sure why, AFAIK the compiler bug is still there, unless 3.0 works.

That is, while compiling a really small atlas C source file (like, ~50 lines) with -O3 -funroll-all-loops, it would quickly expand to fill all of memory. Oh no!

I build-depend on atlas because it is SO much faster than compiled fortran in lapack (like, as much as 20 times faster!). But for arches with no atlas, like PPC and m68k, I want to build against lapack. Does atlas-dev | lapack-dev do this, or are autobuilders not smart enough to interpret such things in Build-Depends?

Thanks,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>