Re: Newbie Amiga install help

Moin,
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 05:38:04PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a nine-year-old Amiga 2000 which I'd like to use to build my
Nine only?
> packages for m68k so they can go into testing.  (One such package is
> three months overdue!)  It has 1 MB chip RAM, and a GVP Combo Zorro card
> with 68030/68881 (all of ~250 kFlop/s!), 5 MB fast RAM, and a SCSI
> interface.  I don't know whether this is enough to compile my packages,
> but would like to give it a try anyway, as it is the only released arch
> I have yet to install. :-)
Um, RAM is pretty tight, dunno about the GVP card. I have a GVP
SeriesII+SCSI, which I suspect makes my box crash from time to time, thus I
disabled the driver... did you check the linux-m68k pages?

> The first problem is that the GVP Combo doesn't seem to recognize an
> external SCSI CD-ROM, there's no icon for it and PopInfo doesn't list
> the CD.  I know this is off-topic, but can someone help me to "mount" it
> in AmigaDOS, so I can start the install?
Get amicdfs from aminet. Maybe you do not have the CD filesystem installed
yet?

> Second, the insntall docs say something like "unpack the install.tgz
> into a directory".  I assume this means AmigaDOS binaries of tar and
> gzip are included in the install CD?
Um, actually, no, they are not AFAIK. I suspect every Amiga user installing
linux has ADE (gcc+co) installed already. But if you suceed in mounting the
CD, you do not have to unpack a thing, just double click on the Icon which
represents your grafics card (or OCSECSAGA if you have none). Sometimes I
make lha files available from my potato page. I haven't done so for the
3.0.7 build yet, if somebody is really interested...

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato