Re: Sponsorhip Levels in EUR (was: Finishing the sponsorship brochure)

also sprach Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> [2014-08-18 01:09 +0200]:
> > Generally, everything gets more expensive, including venues
> > etc..
>
> The rate of inflation right now is close to 0%, maybe a few
> percent (but really below 3%), so 35-70% is not even the same
> sport.

We have not increased the rates for years, the change has always
been somewhat random over the last year. No, we don't and should not
jump 35%–70% without offering more in return (… which we are).

But I am fundamentally not opposed to other figures, and 10k *is*
a magic boundary…

> I am not against a moderate increase in the levels with respect to DC13
> or DC14, but even a direct conversion back to EUR is a huge increase.

Right.

> > My proposal may well be too high. But I certainly don't think we
> > should go below what we currently have, i.e. DC13 levels
> > expressed in EUR.
>
> We don't have that currently, it's just a random git commit nobody
> has agreed upon.

With block-chain reference, given that the commit has survived for
so long, it could be considered agreed upon ;)

> > > E.g. when we last looked at Munich, it was made clear that it
> > > was unlikely we'd get financial support from the city.
> > > I guess it would be possible to get some, but it would mean
> > > more work, like writing grant proposals and stuff.
> >
> > Sure. Are we not ready to do this work to get the money?
>
> Well, it's unclear whether this is a path which leads to success
> even if we do everything right.  Writing grant proposals is not
> for the faint of the heart and I think there is much less to be
> reaped in well-developped countries.

Are you sure "grant proposals" is what it takes? We didn't have to
write such to get Treuchtlingen interested, and I am pretty sure
that mayors and PR personell in Baden-Württemberg have a budget for
such expenses.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf14: Portland, OR, USA:   http://debconf14.debconf.org