Re: Sponsorhip Levels in EUR (was: Finishing the sponsorship brochure)

also sprach Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> [2014-08-16 11:12 +0200]:
> If we change the DC13 levels from CHF to EUR, it's a 20% increase
> over DC13.  If we change the DC14 levels from USD to EUR, it's
> a 35% increase over DC14 (today's conversion rate).

It's true that conversion rates play a role here, but assuming that
there is a 20% increase only addresses the gross numbers.

> Personally, I don't think that's very sensible, but nobody
> explained so far why a 35% increase over DC14 is ok and/or why we
> should ramp it up another 5-25% (to almost 70%(!)[1] higher than
> DC14, at least for silver level), as Martin suggested.

I don't have good reasons except that I think it would be worth
trying. My suggestion doesn't mean I insist on doing this. I am fine
keeping things as they are (your commit) if this is what most people
prefer.

The sponsors team will also have something to say…

> DC14 has an unusual amount of gold/platinum sponsors, most of them
> big US companies.  Apart from SAP (and I doubt they'd sponsor, but
> who knows), there are no similar german companies available,
> I think all/most prospective companies are either german subsidies
> of US companies or SMEs.

I am fairly sure we can attract at least one platinum sponsor and
several gold sponsors.

> but on the other hand, their sponsorship budget is likely dwarved
> by the budgets of Google, Intel, IBM etc.

If those three give us part of their budget, that's good, no?

> The other point is the demise of large government sponsors.

I am fairly sure we could get money from Baden-Württemberg and/or
the city of Heidelberg. It's just going to require work and the
earlier we get started, the better.

> In summary, I think we should think much harder about what kind of
> sponsors we think we want/can attract, and what they would be
> willing to contribute/what they expect in return.  We should have
> done this months ago, and we didn't, but just skiping over this
> step doesn't help either I think.

Well, then we're between a rock and a hard place, because I think
delaying this more is going to hurt us.

Should we have an IRC meeting ASAP? Or how else do you think we can
solve this?

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf14: Portland, OR, USA:   http://debconf14.debconf.org