Re: Sponsorhip Levels in EUR (was: Finishing the sponsorship brochure)

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 01:33:49PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> [2014-08-16 11:12 +0200]:
> > If we change the DC13 levels from CHF to EUR, it's a 20% increase
> > over DC13.  If we change the DC14 levels from USD to EUR, it's
> > a 35% increase over DC14 (today's conversion rate).
>
> It's true that conversion rates play a role here, but assuming that
> there is a 20% increase only addresses the gross numbers.

What exactly do you mean with this?  Also, it's a 35% increase with
respect to this year.  I really think this is a huge increase which
needs a very good reason for it, and nobody has mentioned one so far.

> > Personally, I don't think that's very sensible, but nobody
> > explained so far why a 35% increase over DC14 is ok and/or why we
> > should ramp it up another 5-25% (to almost 70%(!)[1] higher than
> > DC14, at least for silver level), as Martin suggested.
>
> I don't have good reasons except that I think it would be worth
> trying. My suggestion doesn't mean I insist on doing this. I am fine
> keeping things as they are (your commit) if this is what most people
> prefer.

Well actually, I think a useful baseline would be to have the
EUR-converted DC14 levels, i.e. roughly 1500/4500/9000/18500.

> The sponsors team will also have something to say???

Sure.

> > DC14 has an unusual amount of gold/platinum sponsors, most of them
> > big US companies.  Apart from SAP (and I doubt they'd sponsor, but
> > who knows), there are no similar german companies available,
> > I think all/most prospective companies are either german subsidies
> > of US companies or SMEs.
>
> I am fairly sure we can attract at least one platinum sponsor and
> several gold sponsors.

The last several years it was made clear that (i) platinum sponsors
are likely regional, government-related sponsors and (ii) we didn't get
those in world-leading economies.

E.g. when we last looked at Munich, it was made clear that it was
unlikely we'd get financial support from the city.  I guess it would be
possible to get some, but it would mean more work, like writing grant
proposals and stuff.

And I don't see getting a corporate platinum sponsor as a given (and
I'll be interested to hear stories at DC14 how their platinum sponsor
surfaced).

> > but on the other hand, their sponsorship budget is likely dwarved
> > by the budgets of Google, Intel, IBM etc.
>
> If those three give us part of their budget, that's good, no?

But will they sponsor at gold level?  I hope 25-50% of them do, but I am
not sure they all will.

Personall, I'd hope we get 5+ SME gold sponsors from german companies,
but I am very doubtful that'll work out if we make them pay more than
10k EUR and/or don't offer them something in return (see my proposal for
sponsor booths during Open Weekend).

> > The other point is the demise of large government sponsors.
>
> I am fairly sure we could get money from Baden-Württemberg and/or
> the city of Heidelberg. It's just going to require work and the
> earlier we get started, the better.

See above.

Michael