Re: The possibility of co-locating GUADEC 2015 with DebConf15

On Sun, 2014-07-06 at 11:44 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Oliver Propst <oliver.propst@gmail.com> [2014-07-06 11:21 +0200]:
> > To get an idea of the GUADEC budget I would recommend to take
> > a look at previous bids [1] [2].
> >
> > 1 https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/2012/Bids
> > 2 https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/2013/Bids
>
> Sorry, but I cannot immediately find the information and I don't
> want to spend the time to search for them.
>
> Just so you know: rooms should be around 35€/person incl. three
> meals a day.
> http://www.jugendherberge.de/de-de/jugendherbergen/heidelberg%20international10/preise
Ok.

> > > Since we organise room&board for our attendees and since the youth
> > > hostel offers conferencing rooms, we preferred to have a single
> > > contractual partner and chose to go with them. The conferencing
> > > costs us 1000€/day.
> > Ok, sounds reasonable.
>
> That's discounted from 1.600 €/day because we intend to give them
> 130k €. Your price will probably differ.
Ok.

> > Hire? Well its not really possible to organize a conference
> > remotely so there needs to be some interest from local people to
> > arrange certain things such as budget, as well as some local
> > people who are able to volunteer during the actual conference.
>
> We have the same problem as we aren't local either, and I am not
> sure any of us can or want to take on additional responsibilities
> beyond DebConf15 — I am sure you understand…
I understand completely.

> We are also looking for
> local people (just not yet). If we collocate, this will pose the
> question of whether we'll get into each others' way, as many of the
> locals will be interested in GUADEC and DebConf.
Since the idea was to host GUADEC during DebCamp, before  DebConf I don't
think it would be much of an issue during the actual conference. There would
obviously be more administration before conference especially with
financial matters.

If the your team are not interested in taking this "extra"
responsibility, then it might better for us in Gothenburg to
focus on fixing the issues with our current bid.

> > > What is your deadline?
> > I think a bid needs to be ready within a month.
>
> You can do that. I will tell you what the youth hostel says when
> they reply.
Hm ok,  I don't think I will start writing anything if there is
not more interest for this from your team.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst