Re: [Debconf-video] FOSDEM video coverage

On 2012-01-03 19:50:17 (+0100), Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > ULB "doesn't like it" if we start interfering with classes (in fact, they
> > get very upset) so there is a limit to what we can do in the morning.  In
> > previous years, we've mainly moved equipment in, and laid down the wired
> > network trunks running along the main corridors.  We can't get into the
> > lecture rooms until classes are over.
>
> when is it? (the earliest for one of the 5 rooms the video team is
> interested in...)

We don't know yet.  I've asked for the schedules.  As soon as I have them,
I'll forward them here.  Watch this space.

> is there a room where can put in our things early on friday morning (so, say
> 11 or 12 :) and which we then can use to hook devices together to test
> things?
> aka a working room.

We usually start setting up in the usual corner.  I can ask if any rooms are
free if you just want to make sure stuff is working.  Might not be one of the
rooms you want though, but if it's just to test stuff...

> > Last year we had a gigabit uplink.  I haven't seen the paperwork from
> > Belnet yet, but 50Mbit should not be a problem.  I will prod the people
> > who know exactly what we get and report.
>
> I'd much prefer encoding at ULB and then sending 5 1mbit streams to
> fluendo.com, instead of sending two 25mbit links over there where
> fluendo.com is hosting, which quite likely is in Spain.

I admit to being largely ignorant about encoding etc.  If someone (fluendo?)
wants to ship us a couple of pizzas to do it, we can put them with in the
flightcase-rack we have for our network gear.  Shipping details will need to
be sorted out PDQ and you'll probably also want to test the machines to make
sure DHL or whoever didn't do anything nasty to them.

> I really doubt we have constant+uninterrupted 25mbit - and if we dont, the
> stream will break. Then I would rather not do streaming.
>
> So, where do we get encoding servers?

Where you get them is up to you, I can help you put them somewhere though. :)

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer