Re: [Debconf-video] FOSDEM video coverage

[I'm not on debconf-video@ -- if this message bounces, Holger can forward.]

On 2012-01-03 17:56:53 (+0100), Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > Actually, I would prefer and suggest to start Friday morning. Philip told
> > > me we can get in then
> > Well, Philip knows more about that subject than I do, so I suppose
> > that's true, then. So much the better; I was under the (wrong,
> > apparently) impression that we wouldn't be able to get in before late
> > afternoon.
>
> :-) bcc:ing him for good measure, though we just spend four days together in
> the BCC in Berlin :-)

ULB "doesn't like it" if we start interfering with classes (in fact, they get
very upset) so there is a limit to what we can do in the morning.  In previous
years, we've mainly moved equipment in, and laid down the wired network trunks
running along the main corridors.  We can't get into the lecture rooms until
classes are over.  And we can't block any corridors in a way that interferes
with student traffic between classes.

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about these constraints.  We do
have a schedule of the classes, so we can start setting up in the rooms as
soon as they are empty.

Do not underestimate the time it takes to move equipment into the building.
You may not be able to park in front of the building and have to ferry stuff
from the parking lot above.

> > I have confirmation from Fluendo that they'll do streaming for us, in WebM
> > and Theora. If we provide them with DV streams, they'll stream two rooms
> > (main track rooms); if we provide them with WebM streams, they'll
> > transcode that to theora and stream up to five rooms for us.
> >
> > I think streaming 2 rooms is fine, and it allows me not to have to worry
> > about all this streaming stuff too much. Also, backing out again now,
> > after having arranged this, seems like a bad idea.
>
> Aehm, how do you want to stream to DV streams to fluendo? That's 50mbit :-)
> Sure, it's an university network, but still.

Last year we had a gigabit uplink.  I haven't seen the paperwork from Belnet
yet, but 50Mbit should not be a problem.  I will prod the people who know
exactly what we get and report.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps