Re: [Debconf-video] FOSDEM video coverage

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 07:50:17PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> thanks for jumping in.
>
> On Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012, Philip Paeps wrote:
> > ULB "doesn't like it" if we start interfering with classes (in fact, they
> > get very upset) so there is a limit to what we can do in the morning.  In
> > previous years, we've mainly moved equipment in, and laid down the wired
> > network trunks running along the main corridors.  We can't get into the
> > lecture rooms until classes are over.
>
> when is it? (the earliest for one of the 5 rooms the video team is interested
> in...)
>
> is there a room where can put in our things early on friday morning (so, say
> 11 or 12 :) and which we then can use to hook devices together to test things?
>
> aka a working room.
>
> > Do not underestimate the time it takes to move equipment into the building.
> > You may not be able to park in front of the building and have to ferry
> > stuff from the parking lot above.
>
> right
>
> > Last year we had a gigabit uplink.  I haven't seen the paperwork from
> > Belnet yet, but 50Mbit should not be a problem.  I will prod the people
> > who know exactly what we get and report.
>
> I'd much prefer encoding at ULB and then sending 5 1mbit streams to
> fluendo.com, instead of sending two 25mbit links over there where fluendo.com
> is hosting, which quite likely is in Spain.
>
> I really doubt we have constant+uninterrupted 25mbit - and if we dont, the
> stream will break. Then I would rather not do streaming.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

> So, where do we get encoding servers?

As to hardware: I will have a few spare laptops, we can use some of those as
encoding "servers". They should be fairly modern, and thus capable enough to do
this. "a few" means: I have rented one more than I need, strictly
speaking; the rental people said they'll add one extra "just in case";
and I also have my two-year-old personal HP laptop which I'm not
personally using but which otherwise is still in good enough condition.
If needs be, I can bring my DVD player (a 2.8Ghz Core2Duo or
thereabouts in a desktop case) as well. Four machines for transcoding
five DV streams should be plenty, and we can probably put all of them at
the NOC.

the following formula:

pi zz a