Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On 6/8/05, Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> ¹Is rsync the ideal way to copy a file while it is growing?

rsync will manage -- unless the file rotation renames files.

At any rate, it'll be safer if the script that drives rsync should
only work on closed files. Does the dvgrab/kino file rotation give us
enough hints or can we ask lsof about it?

OTOH, we'll be asking laptop drives to:
 - write DV to large file  -- realtime high volume constraints
 - write to compressed theora "small" file  -- realtime low volume -
will end up forcing fragmentation (perhaps we can push this to the
storage server directly via fluendo)
 - lots of seek-read-seek over large files for rsync

If the rsync over lan is fast enough we can do it at the end of the
day -- I think it'll be a win.

cheers,

martin