Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces

Hi! I'm back from the cold and catching up with things quickly. Quick
run over my findings with firewire, fluendo, theora and friends.

- Still liking Fluendo - helpful to setup the flow we want, run it and
monitor it, specially for a live streaming setup. If we don't do
streaming, Fluendo can be shelved.

- If we decide to only do capture, and postprocess, Kino is the best
tool. It will perform dvgrab captures with good visual feedback and UI
controls.

- Theora compression is much heavier than expected. It's unfeasible to
run "straight" Theora for realtime unless we have really high-end
cpus.
 + We'll have to review the boxes attached to cameras and see how
powerful they are.
 + Assuming they are x86, we'll want to compile or package the MMX
version of Theora, which can do realtime (reportedly 3-4 times faster
than non-MMX). This is what people are doing at GUADEC, and I'll be
testing this on x86 this week.
 + Compressing several versions simultaneously is not realistic
(unless my tests prove otherwise). We were expecting to compress one
for HD and one for live streaming.
 + Considering compressing just for live streaming + capturing to HD
directly in parallel. Kino and fluendo can read simultaneously from
/dev/raw1394

- Firewire is tricky. We'll clearly want
  + latest 2.6.12rcX kernel
  + modprobe raw1394 manually (or a hotplug that does the raw1394 loading)
  + chmod /dev/raw1394
  + Good FW cables, and perhaps secure the connectors in place
(disconnects on camera moves are killing me!)

- Implications of local HD storage
 + ~13GB per hour * ~6hs of presentations = 78GB per day per camera
 + It all adds up to 1.6 TB (which apparently we'll have!)
 + Need one big storage server
   * 1.6TB is hard to "take home and edit". We'll have to cut it at DebConf.
 + FW/USB drives to move files around or Gb Ethernet (seems we'll have
Gb Ethernet)

- Streaming to internal/external audience
 + Networking of the encoding machines important
 + Fluendo allows us to direct the streams to a central server and
serve from there. Need good connectivity from all the cameras to the
server.
 + Stream directly from encoding machines for Debconf users?
 + Stream directly from encoding machines to Intarweb? (if addresses
are routable)
 + We'll save the compressed stream and publish @ end of day

- Debconf website updates
 + Edit the "talks" page to add links to the live streams, stored
presentations, slides & links

- Camera operator workflow. Must be easy -- well resolved and with
strong visual & audio feedback.
 + Use Kino instead of dvgrab
 + Have a fluendo mgmt console to control start/stop

I'll post a plan detailing the DV capture strategy and the Fluendo
streaming strategy. We can have either or both. I'm hoping for both ;)

cheers,

maritn