Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On 6/8/05, John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org> wrote:
> Great writeup.

thanks!

> I've been thinking about the encoding part quite a bit and I'll have
> some samples up in the next day or so for testing, but I have one minor
> change I'd suggest.
>
> Once the video is captured and moved to an editing PC, we'll use kino to
<snipped>

If you can help us automate the workflow you describe, and we have
people keen on spending a couple of hours each night on it, great!

BTW, we won't need a CGI -- we'll be able to edit the talks page to
add a still frame, link to video, etc. I think they have a CMS there.

> > We will need to add instructions for camera operators to name the
> > files they are capturing according to the talk -- but that's as hard
> > as it gets.
>
> Some cameras will lock up Kino if you're capturing live and hit the stop
> button.  You need to turn the power on the camera off first.

You mean stop on the camera? We'll never do that ;-) we never
start/stop on the camera itself. All we do is have it on. Or you mean
"stop" in the Kino UI? Might need to test with the cameras we have.

> It would
> be nice if they could keep a list of who was talking, what time it
> began, and what the title of the talk was.

Yup

> Since we're not using two cameras per talk we can focus the cameras so
> that presenter and screen are both visable at the same time.

If we do that, the screen won't be readable at all -- and we'll miss
the actions of the presenter.

> The camera
> operators will just need to monitor the equipment and let someone know
> if anything goes wrong.

Speakers walk about quite a bit. They'll need to track the speaker,
and perhaps focus on the screen if something interesting is happening.

> We'll split the files into different talks
> after the fact.  The operators will leave them running continuosly.

The "live streams" will run continuosly, but the DV captures should
definitely be started/stopped and the files names with the
presentation title/speaker.

> > Realtime compression and streaming strategy
> >

> Any chance you can set up a live stream during the next IRC meeting?

No -- it'll be really early in the morning and I'll be at home. Not
enough bandwidth... and a PPC setup :-(

> > The only tricky part is that Theora as packaged is pretty much useless
> > for real time encoding. We will need a hand-compiled (or packaged)
> > theora-mmx for realtime encoding. Unfortunately my fw box is a PPC (I
> > had the privilege of finding all sorts of strange Fluendo bugs on PPC)
> > so I haven't been able to build and benchmark theora-mmx.
> >

> Much of kino seems to be broken on PPC also.

It seems to work for me if I use the very latest -- I consider myself
really lucky ;)

martin