Re: On the DebConf20 decision process

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 4:03 AM Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana
<phls@debian.org> wrote:

> In 2016 we wrote our BID to DC18. After the decision, I realized there
> was a big preference for choose Taiwan because it would be the first DC
> in Asia. Sure, Taiwan had many points better than us, but I think the
> main point was be in Asia.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I loved traveled to Taiwan and I believe it was a
> great decision have DC18 there. No problem with that.
> But If a knew this preference for having DC in Asia for the first time,
> I would have prefer wait to run to DC19 and spend my time with other
> activities than write the BID in 2016.

I think it's more that is was a *strong* bid from Asia. A weak bid
from Asia would *not* have won.
Everybody knows that we are a bid overdue for Europe, but as others
have pointed out there are costs issue that make european bids a bit
harder, thus other locations have won in the last few years, by making
a very strong bid.

> When I said about no countries outside Europe write BIDs and run to DC21
> because there is a preference to choose a city in Europe, It's because I
> don't want anybody frustrated like I was on that ocasion.
> In the end everything was good because we had a great DC in Taiwan and
> we will have another great DC here in Curitiba.
> Anyway, its just my opinion.

Yes, but submitting a bid for DC21 and refining it achieves two things:
- We have more high quality bids, and the strongest one can be chosen,
regardless of where it is. Of course if there are two very strong
bids, and one of them is in Europe, perhaps the european one will be
chosen this time.
- The bid has time to go through the process, learn, improve on any
weak points, and go back next year, to win. It would be even worse for
a bid to wait it out, submit directly in 2021, and then lose to
someone else that makes a better one in the meantime.

Guido