Re: On the DebConf20 decision process

Hi Stefano,

Just pointing out some details but I think this is important:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 22:20:03 +0200
Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Paulo (2019.03.21_04:42:35_+0200)
> > So, in my opinion, DebConf committee should talk with Indian team to
> > wait 2022.
>
> I think that would be a mistake. Trying to select a DebConf in advance
> is a recipe for disaster. What if there is only 1 bid, and it's not a
> very strong one?
>
> I know it's harder to think long-term on this, but I really encourage
> everyone who is considering bidding for a DebConf, to be flexible
> about the year they host it in. Aside from other bookings at proposed
> venues, the year is probably unimportant to the location.
>
> Start building a team (that's the by far the biggest hurdle), find
> some suitable venues, and prepare a bid. If it isn't selected that
> year, propose again the next year.
We have already started ;)
>You've now got an extra year's
> worth of material in your bid, contacts with venues, and maybe some
> more team members. The DebConf team is also now more familiar with
> your bid, and there's a good chance your bid will win.

Paulo Santana is a Brazilian DD. So when you refer to the bid in the
last paragraph is from Portugal (Lisbon).
And I know that Paulo must have his hands full with Curitiba
DebConf2019 :)

> This worked very well for Montreal. It was my plan for Cape Town.
> Unfortunately, we got selected in the first year we bid :P
>
> Sure, it means making longer-term commitments. But it's pretty
> light-weight commitment, before your bid actually gets selected. Then
> the sledgehammer hits.
Again Portugal :) We can speak more or less the same language but we
have
an entire ocean between us (kidding) .
Don't get me wrong , but here in Portugal and as far as I know there
hasn't be any comments about the choice.

> SR

Cheers,

--
Best regards,