Re: On the DebConf20 decision process

Hi Paulo (2019.03.21_04:42:35_+0200)
> So, in my opinion, DebConf committee should talk with Indian team to
> wait 2022.

I think that would be a mistake. Trying to select a DebConf in advance
is a recipe for disaster. What if there is only 1 bid, and it's not a
very strong one?

I know it's harder to think long-term on this, but I really encourage
everyone who is considering bidding for a DebConf, to be flexible about
the year they host it in. Aside from other bookings at proposed venues,
the year is probably unimportant to the location.

Start building a team (that's the by far the biggest hurdle), find some
suitable venues, and prepare a bid. If it isn't selected that year,
propose again the next year. You've now got an extra year's worth of
material in your bid, contacts with venues, and maybe some more team
members. The DebConf team is also now more familiar with your bid, and
there's a good chance your bid will win.

This worked very well for Montreal. It was my plan for Cape Town.
Unfortunately, we got selected in the first year we bid :P

Sure, it means making longer-term commitments. But it's pretty
light-weight commitment, before your bid actually gets selected. Then
the sledgehammer hits.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera