Re: [Debconf-team] Budget (hopefully) ready for Thursday's discussion / approval

also sprach Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> [2015-03-11 15:06 +0100]:
> Maybe, but is that a discussion that we need to have now, or can
> we have it after the bursaries team will have looked at
> applications?

Well, catch-22: for bursaries to be able to make decisions, they
need an approved budget… at least this is how I know things to work.
The alternative you are suggesting I'd describe as "raising the
money once you know how much you want to spend." Both are valid
approaches, but I'd only call one of them "budgeting" ;)

If you are unable or not willing to allocate Debian resources to
a budget (Debian doesn't have a cash flow, so I understand the
difficulty in allocating money), then how about we just re-allocate
funds from existing worst-case travel sponsorship to enable e.g.
conf dinner, reducing travel sponsorship to 15k for now, and then
Debian can ramp that up when bursaries know how much they need?

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org
      DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16