Re: [Debconf-team] Budget (hopefully) ready for Thursday's discussion / approval

On 11/03/15 at 13:16 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Lucas Nussbaum <leader@debian.org> [2015-03-11 11:18 +0100]:
> > My other question is about the travel sponsorship amount. 30k€ seems
> > quite low to me. How does it compare to past years?
>
> DC14 : 45k USD incl. newbies initiative, 36k USD from Debian
>        (still don't have the numbers on how this was used)
>
> DC13 : 25k CHF plus 20k CHF newbies, 20k CHF from Debian
>        (no numbers on how this was used)
>
> DC12 : could not find budget
>
> DC11 : 35k EUR, no further information found.
>
> So yes, we're at the low end of things.
>
> There is a position in the budget (backed travel sponsorship), which
> is currently 0. Feel free to pour any Debian funds into it. Just let
> me know! ;)

So there's a number of things that might be nice to have, but are not
mandatory for the success of DebConf:
- additional travel sponsorship (based on a recommendation from the
  bursaries team, = do they recommend we sponsor more people than
  currently possible?)
- social events: conf dinner, day trip
- diversity outreach program
- other social stuff: band, karaoke

I think that it would be better to wait for a recommandation from the
bursaries team about additional funding before we commit to spending
money on some of the other items from this list.
Put differently, if Debian funding is needed, I might prefer to direct
it first to additional travel sponsorship, rather than to social stuff.
Would that work for you?

Lucas