Re: [Debconf-team] Payment options?

Philipp Hug <debian@hug.cx> writes:

>> As far as I understand it, you don't need a PayPal account to send money
>> to a PayPal address by credit card. Philipp, can you confirm this?
>>
>> Correct, you don't need an account. We just use them as credit card
> processor.
>

>> I can understand that one does not want to use the services provided by
>> PayPal or any credit cards at all for various reasons. But I don't think
>> PayPal is any worse than all other credit card services or any other
>> online payment system. At least I don't know any system where I see
>> substantial differences (for privacy, surveilance, data mining, feeding
>> big (US) corporations, ...). If someone knows something which is easy to
>> use (for DebConf as for attendees) and ethically better aligned with
>> Debian, we are certainly open to use something different.
>>

> I looked at a few other options but most require monthly maintenance fees
> and/or are only available to US merchants.
> e.g. I looked at Google Checkout and Dwolla, which I'd prefer over Paypal,
> but they're both not available in Switzerland.

How about transferwise.com ?

That way people can do the EUR/USD/GBP/etc --> CHF translation at the
same time, perhaps saving DebConf money on that bit.

FYI transferwise works by having people do bank transfers inside each
currency area, and then matching your transfer with someone that wants
to go the other way, so that they can then do another local transfer at
the other end -- they charge a small fee (~0.5%) and use the mid-rate
to calculate how much you get, which is rather better than any other
deal I know about.  Because all the bank transfers are done locally
from/to transferwise's bank accounts, there should be no fees there.
The only down side I know about is that if you want to transfer
thousands of EUR-worth, they'll want proof of ID to satisfy money
laundering regulations.

Cheers, Phil.