Re: [Debconf-team] Separate room for families

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:16:38PM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 17.04.2013 12:42, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>
> >Out of curiosity, what do you understand for a family here? I have
> >discovered recently that the definition of a family varies widely
> >and for some, the concept of family must include children.
> >For others, like me, 2 persons who share their live together are
> >already a family.
> >In previous years, DebConf welcomed families (as in 2 persons) without
> >problems, if this year you are not going to guarantee lodging for developers
> >taking family members until later, this should be clear in registration
> >to avoid people making plans in this regard.
>
> Hello Ana,
>
> I think that "families" in this context means: "developers with
> accompanying person(s)" (where "accompanying" not in "developer").

Good then, I have the same point of view on this.

> There was a heated discussion about what to answer in the previous
> mail: should we privilege developers on the limited number of small
> rooms, or should we be inclusive?
>
> As background: since months there are big discussions about the big
> rooms: Much worries that many developers will not attend DebConf if
> the only option is a big room.
>

> Returning to the real case: the questioner had an alternate sleeping
> option, so the discussion ended slightly in favor of the first view
> of DebConf (privilege the developers).
>

> But we are in the -team mailing list, so other opinions and
> arguments in favor of one option or the other one are welcome. Maybe
> we missed some important arguments.
>
> In other words: do you (= -team readers) think that most of the
> developers want small rooms? Should we privilege the number of
> developers?

I am not going to enter in the discussion about if we should privilege
developers in getting lodging first or about how we should distribute
the rooms. I can imagine you have discussed at lenght those issues.
My concern is the following one:

Over the years people have taken to debconf family members, I can remember
of people taking their partner, son, daughter, brother or sister.
Of course, always paying for them and I would say everybody is OK with
this (at least, I am). I'm sure people are planning to do the same this year
and in the answer to Raphael I understood this year you don't necessarily
will get a sleeping place for your family member(s) even if you pay for it
and ask during the registration period.

Knowing that are developers who are planning to take family to debconf
this year too. The answer to Raphael was understood for me like a "only
if we have space" and the Registration wiki page doesn't say anything about
this.

In case I didn't explain this well, let me rephrase it in more direct
questions:

a) Since this year accomodation is limited and when it's full, it's full,
it is ok for people who don't care about room size or communal showers
to bring their family members and assume it will be fine if they pay?
Or do they risk debconf telling them May 15: sorry, debconf overflow and
debian contributors get the space first, we don't have enough
space for $MEMBER, you are a contributor and can stay in le camp, tell
$MEMBER to go somewhere else or go with $MEMBER somewhere else if you
want to stay together?

b) The same than a) but asking for one of the smaller rooms and be willing
to pay in full for it. This would be Raphael if he didn't ask to be
sponsored.

c) The same than a) but with camping.

I think Raphael will go somewhere else anyway because it's cheaper for
him (for what he told me by IRC), but please, if the policy with respect
family members have changed this year as Gunnar's mail could be read.
Then, could you make it very clear in the registration email and in
penta when people chooses "acompaying" or whatever is called this year?

HTH,
Ana