Re: [Debconf-team] skip breakfast from budget (and dc13 orga mostly)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 05:41:26PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> > Le Camp doesnt really care for what we spent our money (as long as they get
> > roughly what we predicted we would spent) so I would rather spent this on more
> > beds and more lunch+dinners (thus enabling more people to come) than on
> > expensive food which is halfly thrown away.

> I don't think this is true. Asking for this change now, will cause
> significant unhappyness on their side at least. And as the contract we
> signed includes breakfast they can also just reject such a proposal.
> I'm quite sure that for them skipping breakfast sounds quite unusal. The
> costs of breakfast are part of their calculation and we can't really
> guarantee that we will pay the same amount of money to them even if we
> don't take breakfast.

I doubt asking to skip one of the 3 meals of the day as part of the
hospitality negotiations is the strangest request they're going to face from
us. :) A venue accustomed to hosting different events may actually be quite
accustomed to requests of this nature.

It certainly couldn't hurt to discuss with them the possibility of paying
for something *else* (like a few extra days prior to DebConf - aka DebCamp),
while dropping the breakfast option of the Conference proper.

> While for some people breakfast is not needed, other participants want
> to eat breakfast and as their is no nearby restaurant/bar for breakfast
> they will be unhappy as well. Providing breakfast on our own is also a
> lot of work as we would have to provide the food, do the dishwashing,
> the cleaning of the kitchens etc. It's not just to cost of the food.

This is an excellent point. But, I think for those who don't "need"
breakfast, they may be inclined to a late-night "snack" to sustain them
between dinner and lunch. The meal is really still present, just removed by
a few hours.

Holger's suggestion of having some snacks (breakfast items) available would
actually meet this need, too. And, would be much less expensive than
$10/person/day. We could gather volunteers to keep the kitchen stocked with
things like cereal, musli, yogurt, fruit, granola, etc. for light
breakfasts/late night snacks and those who partake in those breakfasts would
be responsible for cleaning up after themselves (we are, afterall, adults,
right?).

This is, of course, assuming that Le Camp would be open to not providing hot
breakfasts, which is something we could certainly explore.

> Renegotiating this now is really not something I'm prepared to do. If
> someone really has the courage to go to Le Camp with that proposal, I
> won't stay in their way, but don't count on me to do it.

We already have to renegotiate, right? By extending our dates to include
DebCamp? Why not roll this into that renegotiation?

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski