Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 05:50:41PM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > Ignoring some stuff because you think they will be solved or "workarounded"
> > later is not a good idea at the choosing bid stage as we have seen this
> > year.
> I didn't understand from Gunnar's mail that he is ignoring the Portland-USA
> "visa" problem, at all. So I still don't get what point you are making .
>  Actually, I suspect we are talking about the controversial DC13 venue
> choice, as initially and continuously proposed by the DC13 bid team. But I
> don't see how the USA visa policy is related.
Yes, with "this year" I am clearly talking of dc13.
My comment is meta to what Gunnar is saying:
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:28:52AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> We will find unacceptable lines with each of the proposals. But it is
> not the right time to get too much into the details on how and what
> offers to make - Lets first decide on the bids. Stating the visa
> problem is enough for now. We should later come to decisions on how to
> implement a workaround for said problems, if needed.
If one of the venues have a big negative point, we shouldn't ignore it,
instead talk in advance and give the possibility to the people bidding to
fix it. (when possible and reasonable)
E.g. I find the hotels prices in Venezuela extremely high, I could ignore
that point thinking we can find a workaround with cheaper hotels later and
focus in the bid overall. Later, it can happen that the venezuelan team
agrees in looking for other hotels (as has happened in previous years)
or they can say they only will organize debconf in the selected hotels
because they believed this was already chosen (as happened this year)
PS: yes, I will be sending my questions about the bids later.