Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

Le lundi, 18 mars 2013 16.46:57, Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:28:52AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > We will find unacceptable lines with each of the proposals. But it is
> > not the right time to get too much into the details on how and what
> > offers to make - Lets first decide on the bids. Stating the visa
> > problem is enough for now. We should later come to decisions on how to
> > implement a workaround for said problems, if needed.
>
> Nothing to do with the entry in USA (already gave my opinion in this
> thread), just point is exactly this kind of attitude what lead us to the
> problems we have seen this year.

What exactly are you suggesting then?

What worth is brought to the debate between the two bids by this "USA has a
customs policy that 'many' people disagree with" discussion?

I think the point was made, heard, and answered by a rather rational  "been
there, done that" answer, without belittling or dismissal of the problem. As I
understand it, the visa issue _is_ a problem of the Portland DC14 bid, but
nothing that can or should be addressed now. Furthermore, it's not something
the Portland bid team can change before the bid decision or even before
DebConf14, so I really don't see the point in debating the "rampant violations
of personal liberties" more than making the point (which has been made).

Now for the "kind of attitude", I'd appreciate if you could be clearer: are
you saying that Gunnar's "not the right time to get too much into details" at
the "bids discussion" time will lead to problems similar to this year's ?

OdyX