Re: [Debconf-team] Budget status - travel sponsorship

Moray Allan dijo [Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 03:42:40PM +0100]:
> > While I recognize many people see a big failure point our way of
> > handling travel sponsorship, I sincerely cannot imagine a realistic
> > way to improve it much. Yes, we have done several improvements over
> > the years, and I hope to keep making small steps for the better, but
> > sorry - Answering in what I'd consider to be a nice timeframe is
> > outside our possibilities.
>
> I mostly agree, but in fact this year the travel sponsorship is being
> allocated from money that we have not (yet) raised this year.  So we
> could just as well have allocated this first batch of travel sponsorship
> several months ago.

At least two months ago we didn't certainty we'd have enough money to
cover the conference's expenses, and two weeks ago we didn't know for
sure on how to allocate room and food sponsorship - which are IMO more
important to cover than travel sponsorship. So, imperfect as it is, we
could not have done it much better anyway.