Re: [Debconf-team] Budget status - travel sponsorship

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 16:58 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Moray Allan dijo [Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:00:42AM +0100]:
> > but might it also be worth
> > implementing the system with some allowance for individuals to get
> > permission to increase the requirements (up to some percentage?) after
> > being granted sponsorship?
>
> As every year, I doubt we will ever¹ reach a perfect system for
> expressing who needs to be rated higher and when to communicate the
> decision. In order to plan with >3 months time sponsorship allocation,
> so that people can count on a ticket to stay at the level it was
> quoted, we need a funds acquisition logistics quite far from our
> current reach.

Right, that's why I suggested allowing some percentage increase
compared to the originally requested amount.  If we could do things
on time, that wouldn't be needed, but with how they've always happened
so far it might make it more rational than it is at present to request
only the initial best price seen.

> While I recognize many people see a big failure point our way of
> handling travel sponsorship, I sincerely cannot imagine a realistic
> way to improve it much. Yes, we have done several improvements over
> the years, and I hope to keep making small steps for the better, but
> sorry - Answering in what I'd consider to be a nice timeframe is
> outside our possibilities.

I mostly agree, but in fact this year the travel sponsorship is being
allocated from money that we have not (yet) raised this year.  So we
could just as well have allocated this first batch of travel sponsorship
several months ago.

--
Moray