Re: [Debconf-team] Budget status - travel sponsorship

Hi leader, hi debconf-chairs, hi to all the others :-)

Thanks to Richard for his hard work on the budget numbers.

As the travel sponsoring team (herb team) would like to approve today
(2012-06-15) at 1900 utc in a meeting as many reasonable travel
sponsoring requests as possible, we would like to have a clear approval
of how much we are allowed to spend.

Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> writes:
> Travel Sponsorship
> ==================
>
> My instinct is:
>
> - If you want to go low and conservative, 10 k$ for travel
> sponsorship.
>
> - If you want to go reasonable, 15 k$ is a fiscally responsible amount
> for travel sponsorship.
>
> - Travel team sort of implied 18k$ would fund everyone they thought
> should get money.

That's not my understanding. For that we would need about 26k$ if we
reduce all requests above 500$ by 20% and about 32k$ if we want to grant
the full requested amount. That is to grant all the request of those
that got a rating above 18 on a scale of -100 to 100. Or about 2/3 of
the requests. IMHO that's the maximum we want to spend. Clearly there is
not that much money available at the moment.

The 18k come from my understanding of an earlier mail thread that it's
OK to calculate with using all the dc11 surplus now, because this is just
a worst case scenario and we are quite sure that we will get more
money. At that time my interpretation of the current budget was that
this leaves us with 18k for travel sponsoring.

> My personal recommendation would be to allocate "15-18 k$, depending
> on where the team finds the natural cutoff."  This will use some of
> the surplus, but I am almost sure not as much as we think.

The conculusion on IRC yesterday evening was that the authority to
decide about the final amount we are allowed to spend lies with the
debconf chairs and/or the DPL. That's why I would like you to approve
Richard's proposal of 15-18k$ depending on where the team finds the
natural cutoff.

Best,

Gaudenz