Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf thoughts

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 11:12:47AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> writes:

> > In le Camp, the possibilities of affordable hotel are *far* away and you need
> > a car, le Camp is served by public transportation but it is very limiting.
> > (Somebody added in the wiki the distances by bike, but I don't know
> > anyone who travels packing a bike in their suitcase...).

> Have you not met Paul Sladen?

> As I said long ago, Le Camp (when considered as a DebConf venue) is
> family hostile, and for the same reasons is comfort-loving-corporate
> hostile, and also for those other cases you mention.

> This has been know and accepted since DC12, at least, if not before.

The degree to which this was known and understood by all affected parties
definitely varies.  I suppose those of us who were present at DC12 and not
on crutches at the time had a fairly clear understanding of the tradeoffs of
this venue.  I never saw this articulated in a mail to debconf-team until
very recently.  (This could also be a result of me not paying sufficiently
close attention to debconf-team; if so, feel free to lart me with a suitable
mailing list link.)

> It's since come to light that it's marginally more hostile than was
> thought at the time of the venue decision meeting, but really, nothing
> major has changed.

The question of shower ratios and privacy thereof concerns me far more than
anything else that's been mentioned, as I see no way to solve this that
isn't going to leave our female DDs disproportionately uncomfortable and/or
discouraged from coming.  If the reality of the showers was understood by
anyone prior to last week, I certainly don't believe it was shared in a
suitable manner that would get the right eyeballs on it.  Or, if the actual
shower situation isn't as bad as Ana's initial investigation made it sound,
I haven't seen anyone making a reasonable effort to set the record straight
either.