Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf thoughts

> The question of shower ratios and privacy thereof concerns me far more than
> anything else that's been mentioned, as I see no way to solve this that
> isn't going to leave our female DDs disproportionately uncomfortable and/or
> discouraged from coming.  If the reality of the showers was understood by
> anyone prior to last week, I certainly don't believe it was shared in a
> suitable manner that would get the right eyeballs on it.  Or, if the actual
> shower situation isn't as bad as Ana's initial investigation made it sound,
> I haven't seen anyone making a reasonable effort to set the record straight
> either.

OK if people really think this is necessary I can comment on this. But
please understand that the demand to those that have visited Le Camp to
set even the most absurd claims (like how cold tap water might be or
that one dorm has no doors or that there will be bugs all over the place
etc) about the venue straight is just not doable. At lest I myself I'm
so tired of all of this that I just don't care enough anymore.

While some of the buildings at Le Camp really show their age, all the
facilities are clean, working and in good general condition. If not I'm
sure that defects will be fixed if we notice them. I understand that
judging form the pictures and from the age of the installations they
show you might think that the general condition of everything is much
worse than it is in reality. But compared to everywhere else in the
world where I have been, Swiss buildings tend to be built for
"eternity". We are also know for keeping everything really clean (ask
Daniel about this if you have any doubts).

Now to the shower and toilet issue:
All houses have showers and toilets. There are around 35 showers in
total (counting from the plans, plans are not available for all houses).
3-5 houses (number 4-6 and maybe 7 and 8) have showers with little
privacy so that they can only be used by same sex persons at the same
time. All other houses have showers where you can dress inside as far as
I can see from the available information on the Le Camp site and from
my memories from my visits. The bigger houses (Beausite, pricipal,
Peuplier at least) have separate toilet rooms for women and men.
Considering all of this I think the problem can be solved in an
acceptable way. There are enough places where we can have mixed sex
houses with enough privacy for the showers and toilets. Also the better
equiped houses are those with the smaller rooms and more single and
double rooms. So the "couple" issue is mostly solved as well.

At least the houses Paserelle, Beausite, Peupliers have very modern
showers. I'm sure we will find an arrangement to make most people happy
for shower usage. And with the proposed daily cleaning I also think the
cleanlyness is no longer an issue.

I linked all the available house plans from the Rooms wiki page[1].

Gaudenz

[1] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/LeCamp/Rooms