Re: [Debconf-team] another impediment to contract signing

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:

> The fundraising team has been in discussions with the local canton about
> receiving a subsidy or sponsorship
>
> Sometimes Government agencies only give this type of money if they feel
> there is a risk that the event will go to another region/city

I don't know if this is true for commercial conferences. But I don't
think this is relevant for our case. I have been part of organizing
several events in non-commercial settings (youth organizations and
sports events) that recieved part of their funding from governement
agencies. The fact if it's already decided or not to go to their region
has never been a factor in their decision. They give you money because
you meat their quite well defined criteria of what's eglible or not.
This is certainly true for "Lotterie Romande" and other funds designed
to support "cultural" (in a wide sense including sports and youth
activities) events. These forms of sponsoring are mostly granted to
support the intangible value of the event and not for economical reasons.

> On this basis alone, I think we should allow these discussions with the
> canton to run their course before committing to any particular venue
>
> To put this in perspective, RMLL received about 30% of their funding
> from official sources in Geneva.  It is normal in the Swiss economy for
> events to be subsidised, that is one reason why the prices are so high,
> because the venues, etc all expect that we have money from the
> government to spend.

Do you know if this money was agreed upon before deciding for Geneva as
the conference venue? Was it really given to RMLL because otherwise the
would have gone somewhere else?

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.