Re: [Debconf-team] LeCamp - Approval of budget and signing the contract

I've spent the morning digging into the budget, contract, bylaws, and
asking clarifications to Philipp (on IRC, due to time constraints) who
has been very kind and helpful. I'll provide an answer to the budget
approval later on today.  But first, I'd like to address a couple of
budget-related points that have been raised here.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:14:15PM +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> As discussed previously, we should be working under an agreement like
> the one signed with ISIC last year, not delegating all organisational
> power to a local group in Switzerland as this sentence (perhaps
> unintentionally) implies.

Agreed. I think in this case the Memorandum of Understanding could be
simpler than previous years, given that part of it is subsumed by the
organization bylaws. But other parts should definitely be written down,
such as returning the possible surplus to some Debian Trusted
Organization as soon as the last conference payment has been done.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39:51PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> 1.) budget worries:
[…]
> And finally, the risk for this is with the dc13.ch association, _not_
> with Debian. There is no Debian money at risk.

There are worst case scenarios where Debian might lose money here. As
we're talking risks, we should keep them in mind.  For instance, we
might have to pay the first tranche of some contract before having
received enough money from sponsors. That would be a cash flow issue
only. But it means that, if we had to cancel shortly after the payment,
we might lose the Debian money used as an advance. It's unlikely, but it
might happen.  Similarly, even if in case of dc13.ch bankruptcy, there
might be personal liabilities (unlikely, but still) and in that case we
might want (subject to some judgement call) to shield individual
volunteers.

Bottom line: the risk is (probably) low, but definitely non-zero.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .