[Debconf-team] Alternative ways of raising money

Hi,

I feel we are spending too much time here discussion some issues
that are ultimately linked to money. Sadly, this happens every year.
We are early in the organization of DC13 and we are well on time
to find new ways of getting money.

We are been relying mostly in two ways of finding money:
- sponsors
- corporate attendees (not a big amount)

Back when DebConf10, we even sent a press release asking for donations:
http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100519
Some people donated after this, but we didn't exactly track the donations
and we didn't have any proper way of thank you back.

So this leads to the first possibility: utilize crowdfunding to fund
DebConf. E.g. we can calculate how much money is to sponsor food and
accommodation to say 15, 30, 45 and 60 unamed contributors and try to
raise that incrementally.
This would take some time to do and also some money depending on
what we give back. But I think it is worth considering.

Usually the crowdfunding places take a part of the money as fee, but
maybe we could negotiate with them sponsoring us that amount.

I won't say anything about what could be given as reward because
it is not something important to discuss at this point. I want to know
what people think about this idea.

Other idea could be use some of the places where you can put t-shirts
and other similar tokens like mugs to sell. (There are some places who sell
Debian t-shirts  and promise to see part of the money to Debian, but again
we don't track this).
We do not need to endorse any place over the others, just be transparent
about how much money Debian get and check if Debian really gets this money.
I don't think this would have a huge margin, but it doesn't sound too much
time consuming after the initial setup given the company does the shipping
and so on.

Ana