Re: [Debconf-team] Alternative ways of raising money

Hi there!

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:13:22 +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> I feel we are spending too much time here discussion some issues
> that are ultimately linked to money. Sadly, this happens every year.
> We are early in the organization of DC13 and we are well on time
> to find new ways of getting money.

I fully agree on the above, thank you for spotting it again.

> Back when DebConf10, we even sent a press release asking for donations:
> http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100519
> Some people donated after this, but we didn't exactly track the donations
> and we didn't have any proper way of thank you back.

I did not remember that, thank you very much!

> Usually the crowdfunding places take a part of the money as fee, but
> maybe we could negotiate with them sponsoring us that amount.

I am not used to crowdfunding, but it sounds doable.

> Other idea could be use some of the places where you can put t-shirts
> and other similar tokens like mugs to sell. (There are some places who sell
> Debian t-shirts  and promise to see part of the money to Debian, but again
> we don't track this).

The above is not completely true: since a while, the Debian Auditors
(Bcc:ed), and in some cases the Debian Events Team as well, are trying
to track exactly this kind of "places".

> We do not need to endorse any place over the others, just be transparent
> about how much money Debian get and check if Debian really gets this money.
> I don't think this would have a huge margin, but it doesn't sound too much
> time consuming after the initial setup given the company does the shipping
> and so on.

IMHO if one of this "place" would sponsor one single attendee would
already be a double win: for the place because it gets more visibility
and for DebConf because we have one less attendee to take care of.  So
it is worth it anyway.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca