Re: [Debconf-team] Alternative ways of raising money

Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> writes:
> Back when DebConf10, we even sent a press release asking for donations:
> http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100519
> Some people donated after this, but we didn't exactly track the donations
> and we didn't have any proper way of thank you back.

I think this should be done again as soon as we have the sponsorship
material ready.

> So this leads to the first possibility: utilize crowdfunding to fund
> DebConf. E.g. we can calculate how much money is to sponsor food and
> accommodation to say 15, 30, 45 and 60 unamed contributors and try to
> raise that incrementally.
> This would take some time to do and also some money depending on
> what we give back. But I think it is worth considering.
>
> Usually the crowdfunding places take a part of the money as fee, but
> maybe we could negotiate with them sponsoring us that amount.

This also came to my mind the other day. I'm in favour of further
pursuing this idea. Do you already have an overview of different
crowdsourcing services and their conditions?

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.