Re: [Debconf-team] Closing debconf13-localteam@l.dc.o ?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 04:27:53PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as discussed during last DebConf's "DC13 team coordination BoF" [869], as to
> minimize the information gap between DC13 locals and the rest of the DebConf
> Team, there was a rough consensus to close the debconf13-localteam mailing
> list and to have all discussions happen on debconf-team@l.dc.o.
>
> As not everyone from the team was at that meeting I propose to discuss this on
> the -team mailing list until consensus (either way). Let's try to reach it in
> the course of the next week.
>
> Food for thought:
>
> * Non-english conversations? Actually needed?
> * Cross-posting headache resolved?
> * Does it lead to actual improvement of the situation?
> * Redirection from the -localteam mailing list to -team?
> * Archives?
> * …?

I am +1 for sending most discussions from -localteam to -team.
Speaking with my physics hat on, there is too much interaction between
local and global things, so there isn't a good dividing point.
Especially since the localteam and venue changes every year, we can't
just assume that local things will be like we expect, which increases
the amount of interaction.

However, here is a possible use for -localteam: local volunteers (as
opposed to core team members[1]).  As I understand it, it was made for
local team's language, so that those volunteers could have a place to
be.  Most "core" localteam people usually know enough english (and I
don't think anyone minds a multilingual -team list anyway), but local
*volunteers* can use that list.  These are the kind of people who
don't have time or desire to deal with mundane details months ahead,
but would respond to a call "we need local guides for teh day trip!
Who can meet Wednesday at 8am?" or "Who can be at le camp at 8am on
Sunday to help set up?".  I think this would be a valuable list to
have, and makes sense for this to be in the local language.

I think that would solve most of the issues above.  -localteam would
thus be used primarily for establish IRL meetings now, and gaining
more use as the conf comes closer.

On a related note, I just created this page for the DebConf manual:

  http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Communication

It lists all our communication channels and their intended uses, and.
It isn't designed for this year so much as future years and helping to
recruit new team members.  If this page had been made earlier, it
could have answered this question.  Once this thread is resolved, the
results can be updated to that page.  As always, feel free to edit the
page to help it reflect reality (or what we want reality to be) ; I
haven't been following as much as I used to.

That page is designed to be a good starter sheet for new team
members/volunteers.  I have a feeling I've written those things
before, but can't quite find where...

Thanks,

- Richard

[1] What's the difference between a volunteer and a team member?  It's
just nomenclature on a continuous scale.  But, there are some people
who don't want to be involved in detailed planning, but are happy to
show up and be given a task and instructions (what I refer to as
volunteers) and core team members are those spending the next year of
their life figuring out how to make things work.