[Debconf-team] SVN -> GIT migration

Hi

I did a test conversion of the debconf-data svn repository to git today.
I migrated most toplevel directory to a separate git repository. While
I certainly think this is the right approach for the dcXX directories
I'm not so sure about the other stuff in debconf-data. So here is my
proposal:

- dc0 - dc13, fr2010.mini, in201x.mini: each into it's own repository
- reports: move the reports into the dcXX repository in a directory
  report. So /reports/dc11 becomes /report in the dc11.git repository.
- media.debconf.org: Own repository. This repository is about 900MB, so
  it would be nice to not force it on everyone who, just wants the
  debconf repository. Another option would be to move this into the
  annual repositories as well if that's technically possible. AFAIUI the
  content from this directory is automatically (?) mirrored on
  media.debconf.org.
- 10year, blog, db, misc, penta, www, website: all together in one single debconf
  repository.

For the repository names I propose to ditch the "-data" part as it is
just confusing (at least to me).

I have done a test conversion into my home directory on alioth. Yo can
access the repositories at svn.debian.org:~gaudenz/debconf2git/repos/xxx.git
(e.g. git clone svn.debian.org:~gaudenz/debconf2git/repos/dc13.git)

One thing I did not do yet is the conversion of the Alioth usernames to
nice git author names. I have a script to extract all the usernames. But
hard part is assigning names to those. I see several options:
- We just don't care and the username is aliothlogin@alioth.debian.org
  (currently @localhost, but that's easy to fix)
- Someone tries to hunt down names and mailadresses for all the alioth
  users that every commited to the repository.
- We put the list of users into SVN and give everyone some time to add
  information about those users they care about.

Please checkout the repositories and do some tests to see if my
migration is sensible. I would like to actually do the migration either
at the end of debconf or sonn after going back home.

I'll send a similar proposal for migration of the debconf-team
repository.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.