Re: [Debconf-team] SVN -> GIT migration

Hi

I finally found the time too take another look at the repository
conversion and incorporate all the feedback and discussion from this
thread and DebConf.

During the discussion it became clear to me that my initial plan tries
to solve two distinct problems that should be kept separate. One is the
technical question of the right (tm) version control system to use, the
other is the access rights to the debconf-team (private) repository.

* Technical part
- I think there is agreement, that git is prefered over subversion and
  that the conversion to git should be done.
- A PREVIEW of the conversion to git is available on
  ssh://git.debian.org/~gaudenz/debconf2git/debconf-(data|team)/xx.git
  Please only do test commits there. Until the final conversion is done
  these repositories may be deleted or regenerated at any time.
- I kept the separate reports.git repository from debconf-data as
  prefered by Holger and Jörg.
- I also converted the debconf-team repository and splitted it into one
  git repository per current subdirectory. If it's not split a checkout
  of debconf-team is about 700M. So I'd prefer to split it.
- I populated the git commit authors with the GECOS information and
  mailaddresses from Alioth. For DDs the @debian.org address is taken.
  Thanks to the Perl Packaging Group for the idea.

* Repository access
During the DebConf organization BoF at DebConf 12 the following proposal
was made:
- Keep the current debconf-data and debconf-team Alioth project. No per
  year projects.
- All the new git repositories created from the debconf-data SVN are
  writeable by the debconf-data Alioth group (public read access). All
  repositories from the debconf-team SVN are only readable and writeable
  for the debconf-team group. The debconf-team group has access to all
  previous DebConfs files.  No fine grained access control with ACLs
  is put in place.
- Each year a trusted member of the local organizers is added as an
  admin to both projects. This admin is free to add local team members
  to both projects as needed.
- Each year the previous years admin is removed again and the members
  list of the debconf-team project is reviewed. All members that no
  longer need access are removed.
- Really confidential data should not be put in any of the two
  repositories.

* Alioth project names
After thinking a bit more about it, I decided not to rename the Alioth
project names. IMHO renaming just leads to more confusion than keeping
the current somwhat misleading names. The most obvious base directory
name "debconf" is already taken by the package debconf. Just renaming
the base directory for the git repositories without changing the Alioth
project names also adds confusion without helping much.

* Next steps
- Please test the repositories to see if they are complete, you have the
  right access and if the split into git repositories  makes sense.
- It's quite easy to drop SVN revisions during the conversion. If you
  think something should be dropped, please send me the revision numbers
  to drop.
- If you disagree with this proposal, please speak up NOW. Otherwise
  I'll coordinate with Jörg to implement this somewhen in the begining
  of August.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.