Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 localteam meeting minutes 22/03/2012

Hi Gunnar

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:03:07 -0600, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> > We are well aware that the global team is currently very busy with
> > organizing DC12. That's why we'd like to disturbe you as little as
> > possible.
>
> Wait, wait, hold it right there!
>
> I (and I think I'm talking for all of the long-running orga team)
> prefer NOT to have this separation. I know every year's situations are
> different, but maybe the point that put most stress in the DC11 cycle
> was that -due to many reasons, not worth getting into the gory details
> right now- we operated as a global team "overseeing" the work of a
> local team - but at times, it seemed we were in competition, and the
> lack of communication was often frustrated for both. We really would
> prefer having no real boundary between locals and globals, at least to
> the possible extent.

I agree very much agree that there should not be two teams competing
with each other. And I also think that it should not be seen as primary
a hierarchical structure of a global team overseeing the local team.

My paragraph above was mainly a reaction to an IRC discussion some days
ago where it was said (IIRC by Holger) that the global team is too busy
to also care about DC13 and that they really have to focus on DC12. On
the other hand while some of us will also help organizing stuff for DC12
we can not simply stopp all the work for DC13 until after summer.

> > On the other hand we have to make sure that the DC13 team does
> > not get too disconnected from the global team. We discussed the relation
> > to the global team in our meeting. Have a look at the relevant section
> > in our minutes. [2] I would also like to schedule a BoF at DC12 to
> > discuss global <-> localteam relations as this is probably the only
> > chance to meet in person before DC13.
>
> Right. Of course, as Cate said, it seems we prefer you to "do the
> work" - All local work, specially at this point, must be carried out
> by you. And there WILL be a real divide between the teams, no point in
> trying to hide it. However, we should try to make the teams as
> integrated as possible.

Yes see above.

> Gaudenz says, "responsible for DebConf, they give us work
> (contractors, delegators), they help us / we help them doing work" —
> No, I don't see it that way (or didn't understand correctly). We (and
> I don't only mean "we the three delegates", but "we the team that runs
> DebConf over and over" - This year due to different reasons several
> people have had to reduce their involvement, but we do expect a global
> team larger than us three) don't "give you" work, but try to guide
> what you are able to provide regarding our past experiencies in other
> DebConfs.

I think I'm a bit misrepresented in the minutes here. I mainly tried to
explain to those not yet failiar with the whole process that we are not
alone and that there is a global team to help us and that some tasks
will be carried out by the global team. In this context I also mentioned
that the global team (or to be precise the Debconf comitee) is also
responsible for selecting the debconf location each year and that in
this sense we are appointed to organize DC13. But the emphasis was
clearly on "they help us / we help them doing work" (eg. cooperation
beteween both parts).

> > I also propose to CC meeting agendas and minutes to debconf-team, but to
> > keep most of the rest of the communication on the localteam list for
> > now. Of course with the exception of things that need direct cooperation
> > or input from the global team. That way your attention does not get
> > distracted by DC13 stuff and we can keep working on those things we have
> > to do now to make DC13 a success.
>
> Which language is the DC13 list on? I have not thought of joining as I
> don't understand any of Switzerland's national languages... But if
> it's English, then I'll get in. And I invite the others to do the
> same.

I think this might be a big advantage in our situation that all the
localteam communication is also in english even if this is not an
official language here. That's because we also have members from other
countries and this is the only language that everybody speaks and
understands.

> Oh! And finally: The migration of our system to Frab was mentioned
> several times. It would be great - But it's a task that must be
> carried out long before DebConf (i.e. I'd aim at somewhere before
> Nov/Dec 2012). We have to give it a good thought: One of the reasons
> not to migrate now was preserving the whole dataset, but for
> simplicity sake, we should consider the amount of data we will
> migrate, and the amount that will just be an acceptable loss (i.e. I
> don't really think we should care about who killed who in Assassins
> 2007). Anyway, that should be discussed later on.

I'm considering migration to frab as my Debcamp project for this year.
AFAIK OdyX is also interested if he can make it to to Nicaragua.

Greetings,
Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.